On the weekend, the highlight for me is the opportunity to avoid giving the brain a major workout. I try really hard to not get involved in controversial topics or watching anything that will make me think to get what is going on.
Unfortunately, i didnt avoid it this weekend. I watched 4 movies and all 4 made me think...3 of which made me think very seriously.
Off the bat, i loaded Paris Je'taime. Were talking about a movie that has 9 short flicks in one...and silly me, i managed to load the second half first and it was really dark...were talking drugs in a quirky weird scenario, i didnt expect it from the start...but it wasnt the start since i started in the middle. I managed to follow the movie anyway, because of the way it was set out with the 9 shorts. I watched the first half of the movie after i finished the second half and it still meshed well. What made me think so much throughout this movie??? I didnt know why some of these short movies were suppose to relate in a significant way with the topic "Paris, I love you..."
Then i watched Dreamgirls...and you are probably thinking, what in that movie can possibly make you think so much? Well, i just kept wondering when it would get interesting and its more an expectation thing...I expected more...I was waiting for a lot of excitement...I was tired and it was late...my mind kept ticking over like the time and i was sitting there waiting for and anticipating so much more with the Effie diva thing. And i didnt end up with much...so i was pretty disappointed. I was thinking about all the bigger and greater things that were to come in the movie, but didnt end up seeing anything i made up in my mind.
Today, i watched Little Children and this one made me think a lot. There are about 4 storylines entwined and comes together like Jackie Brown (or Pulp Fiction - but since i never finished washing it, i can only compare it to Jackie Brown...but more subtle)...its starts off controversially and ends in a very neutral pathetic way (well, half of the ending is neutral and pathetic...the other half closes the circle of the controversial topic.
If you were wondering what Kate Winslet's nipples looked like after having two kids and wanted to compare it to her Titanic days...this is the movie to fulfil all that wondering. I was a bit surprised about the nudity...but the guy - Brad...the one she does the hanky panky with, well he is pretty hot! So, i really cant complain.
After that i went to lunch with some girlfriends and when i got back i watched another movie - Brick. Joseph Gordon-Levitt (you'd probably remember him more on 3rd Rock from the Sun) stars in this movie. I think he has a thing for offbeat movies that are less stellar but far more meaningful...and im guessing he finds acting in them more fulfilling...
This movie is intense and you are transported into a world that is very mature in the espionage/investagation within a drug/gang like community that is actually all placed in a high school environment with a bunch of high school kids. I actually forgot most of the time that were actually in fact dealing with kids in this flick...well the characters are supposed to be kids.
Its really strong in the darkness and violence and even in all its gory, its pretty crafty. But due to its craftiness, i didnt understand particular important code names for the drugs, locations, drinks etc...and i think that if you have to think about those type of things, it detracts from the movie...cos who really wants to be figuring out what those things are while they are watching and are trying to follow a movie???
After finishing Brick, im glad it was Ugly Betty time...because thats a no brainer and the grey mass could recuperate from the strains of Little Children and Brick.

No comments:
Post a Comment