Monday, August 14, 2006

What’s up with the babies…?

I am either looking extremely young for my age or these boys (who are barely legal), have this idea that being with an older woman is of some advantage. And there are heaps of advantages like, wisdom, money, experience, and hopefully patience, just to name a few.

I have none of the above. So, once again, I don’t know why they seem to be interested in me.

I was behind the wheel of my car after a stint at Ikea – it was one of the stores on my cousin’s “Wishlist” of things to buy for her baby shower. There was a Camry in front of me at the lights and the driver was saying something to the other 2 guys in the car. The guy in the backseat turned around to look at me, and he actually waved and being oh-so-flirtatious. The driver kept checking me out in the side and rear view mirrors. The front passenger pulled down the sun visor so that he could look at me in the mirror too.

While this was happening, I was thinking “why me”??? At the same time, I was thankful that I had my big black frames on, to cover the ghastly glare I must have been sending these boys.

They were red P-platers. That would make them younger than my little brother. And that would be extremely EWW!!!

I don’t remember flirting or being flirted with in such a way, since high school.

Its flattering. Yes. But at the same time, it feels yuck.

On Friday night, while K and I made way to Opera Bar, I noticed some really cute guys, but I knew they were fresh uni students. They looked to me, like they stemmed from the same tree as my younger brother, and that once again made me feel yuck!

For crying out loud, some one tell me, where are the cute good looking MEN???

Its wrong to be perving on these babies…and thankfully, I haven’t been "perving”. I look at their face and think that they are cute and realise that they are “baby” cute, way too young, and I scare the bejeezus out of myself for just looking.

One of the PM’s I briefly worked with, was also a contractor and we email on a regular basis. He is like the Yoda of Project Management, which is why I think its necessary to keep in touch with him. But he is also a good source of gossip and common sense. He has these analogies that sometimes go over my head, but its good. I keep learning each time we email each other. Whether its about GTS or about expensive panty hose…this guy would be able to tell me about it…and I think its obvious that our age difference shows. He would be about late 40’s.

He recently told me about GTS…he thinks that I have reached the age where “all women” seem to suffer from GTS.

What is GTS?

This is his explanation: (direct from an email)

GTS is known amongst us cynical males as 'Gravy Train Syndrome'. Tends to kick in for the female of the species in the mid to late 20's. This is where you start to look for a male that would be suitable for breeding. This manifests itself in the form of chicks going out with blokes that they wouldn't previously look twice at... but they're rich, have a nice mortgage, love kids etc etc. The chick can drop their career and jump on the gravy train for the rest of your life.

Where at younger ages such behaviour was often limited to narrow bands (eg HH's) you seem to find GTS spreading across broader cultural demographics. Perhaps it's unfair on your sex but there's plenty of evidence. A mate of mine, still single in his 40's prides himself on being able to smell GTS ;)


I think this may be true for his “era” and the women in his age group. But for all the women I know…they all have their own mortgages and are basically taking care of themselves.

Would it be nice to have someone loving, who happens to be rich, taking care of you – I think so!

But are all the women who are currently in their mid-late 20’s sitting around waiting for this Prince? NO! Maybe a couple of women are, but not most.

Personally, I am in the process of acquiring my own 25-30 year long mortgage…and I’m doing it all on my own.

With this obvious shift (obvious to me) between older women and young boys, let’s hope that these boys don’t get it in their heads that they can jump on our gravy train…well, at least not this woman’s gravy train!

***


I bought a ticket to fly to Melbourne during the Labour Day long weekend. In the course of telling my brother and sister in law, I got coerced into taking my niece with me…pending on whether they can get an airfare on the same flights as me, for her.

Now, we all know that I love my nieces. But my parenting skill begs to be questioned immensely!

I can barely look after myself! Will I be able to look after a 5 y/o???

Yes, she is much better behaved than when she was a year ago…but there is a difference between taking her to the cinemas and taking her on a short holiday interstate. I’m not questioning her manners, I’m questioning my capabilities.

I am obviously not a parent. I can’t even say that I would make a good baby sitter. What if I accidentally lose her?! I’d kill myself. My brother would kill me. My sister in law would kill me. I’ve never even had a pet. The plant my ex gave me has recently died…well, I deliberately neglected it so that it would die…I just stopped watering it for a few months…I didn’t see the point any more! See, how awful a person I am?!!??!! I deliberately let things DIE!!!

I told my mother that she shouldn’t have made me say that I would take my niece with me. But my mother has this “neat” idea that taking my niece to Melbourne will teach me to become a mother. I’m like, "WHAT THE F@#$ FOR???"

I’m not in a relationship! I’m going to have a mortgage that will take all of the good years of my life to pay for! And more importantly, I don’t want to have kids anymore!!! And she seems to forget that I’M NOT IN A RELATIONSHIP ANYMORE!!! Who does she think I’m going to have a child with??? And does she really believe that I will have a child in the near future (within the next 2 years) that warrants the need to learn how to be a mother RIGHT NOW?!!?!?

But since I have told my sister in law that I would take my niece…I can’t go back on my word.

Yes, it will be a learning curve – I just hope and pray that every thing goes well!
*touch wood*

No comments: