Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Films and more films...

I rented out Gosford Park on Monday night, because my friend and i missed it on Sunday night...too busy watching Big Brother...so we missed the first section of the movie and thought that we would rent it out and watch it Monday night.

Since it was a weekly dvd, i rented 5 other dvd's.

And, i watched five out of the six dvd's i rented.

So, we watched "Gosford Park" on Monday night...it was very slow for like the first 90-something minutes, but the twist at the end was good. Not necessarily worth waiting for, but at least i wasn't left thinking "Omg, what was that?"

We started watching "Girl with a pearl earring" and that was another slow movie...i fell asleep, it had interesting moments...but i was expecting some sort of climax in the film as it was developing, but it failed to do so. Since, i slept through the later half of the film, i watched it again on Tuesday morning. And there were really interesting moments...hissy fits...but it just didnt deliver what i was anticipating. And the ending...one word...disappointing!

I then popped in "The Cats Meow" dvd. I had read a novel about William R. Hearst and his mistress Marion...they are real people...and there were real deaths involving those two people...maybe not directly, but there is still much speculation, which is why there are books and movies about the two. The movie was another let down...highlight was Kirsten Dunst playing the role of Marion, and there were a few semi-famous people in the cast.

After The Cats Meow, i started watching a film about an American artist...a depiction of how he became famous and the pitfalls of rising and rising fast. The title of that flick is "Basquiat", about the life of the street artist Jean-Michel Basquiat. This flick had a list of famous actors just as long as "Crash"...were talking Benicio del Toro, Dennis Hopper, Willem Dafoe, Davie Bowie, Parker Posey, Claire Forlani, Gary Oldman, Tatem O'Neal, and even Courtney Love.

I wasn't expecting much from this movie, and it was surprisingly interesting. To watch people change under the influence of money...to watch how some people's perspective of others don't change at all, even though they have gained star status within the art world. To see how racism doesnt change, even though you are famous. To see who remains your true friend, and to watch the people who keep pointing out that you shouldnt trust someone...that someone being your true friend.

Insightful, very good for a lazy afternoon.

Next flick to watch is "Hotel Rawanda". This movie is really good...but it stressed me out...and i hate movies depicting others killing one another, especially when its killing in terms of genocide. It was a great movie that provided closure at the end...which i wasnt expecting and was grateful for. There was hope in the film. It moved me. I almost cried so many times...but thought i was stupid for doing so, and i held back the tears.

Don Cheadle did a wonderful performance, and its no surprise this movie was nominated for the Oscars in 2004/2005. I would recommend this movie to those who have not watched it, unless you dont like movies that depict death in a very real sense...and you have a very sensitive stomach...but sometimes, you just need to watch these movies to desensitise yourself a bit.

There is one point where he crumbles and cries, and you have to wonder when would you have crumbled if you were in the same position? I think i would have been in tears way long before we saw him crack!

The final dvd that i have watched previously and really enjoyed, I am leaving for another day. Its "Finding Neverland" with Johnny Depp and Kate Winslet. I'm saving it for Friday night or sometime during the weekend...where i can sit at home and ball my eyes out!

I cried when i watched it in the cinemas, and with the state of my affairs, i think its high time i induced some crying action. I'm feeling a bit too controlled right now. I need to cry all my tears out, to the utmost exhaustion...and then maybe i will be able to see straight again.

I miss him, and some things have happened over the past weekend to really cause my heart to ache.

*sigh*

No comments: