Sunday, June 29, 2008

Cold wintery night...

What do you do on a really cold wintery Saturday night? Do you brave the cold and wear a skimpy outfit and heels, waiting in line to get into the supposed "hot" city night spot???

Or are you like me, and prefer to rug up on the couch with a really warm throw and a DVD in the player with some chips or chocolate and a hot drink?

Then there is another alternative (one of many depending on your mood)...

Get all rugged up with a warm coat and scarf (beanie too, if you don't mind the hat hair later) and brave the cold between your house and the car...then brave the cold between the car and one of your favourite cafes...where you can meet your friends to play some games while you wait for that mega bowl of tender chicken pieces (the way real nuggets should be) and wedges with sour cream and sweet chilli sauce...and of course...your choice of coffee, hot choc, or my favourite hot apple cider with whipped cream!

Mars Hill is just the place...and E has never played Jenga and it has been forever since he played UNO. It seems that both games can induce great stress...for E anyway! *LoL* I believe we were there for 2 hours...but I had the best night in a long time and it was worth braving the cold for such an event. It wasn't planned...it was on the spur of the moment decision...it turned out to be a very good night.

Mars Hill is on Church Street in Parramatta, on the far end near the Riverside Theatre. Its a small quirky cafe that has an extensive range of coffees and hot drinks, as well as cold drinks...there are also a number of nibblies and snacks and cakes. I think they have some more substantial things on the menu, but I haven't taken a proper look, as I'm often there after lunch or dinner. There is a tallboy down the hallway that houses the games...trivial pursuit, monopoly, jenga, UNO, battleship, mastermind, connect four and a number of other games...

There is a lounge area at the front, a couple of tables and chairs behind the front lounge...there is also an upstairs with more lounges and table and chairs, a private room with the U-shaped bench, but the upstairs is used for live performances on Saturday night which there is a $10 cover charge to enter and its not quite game-friendly.

Its a bitter sweet place for me to visit. I was introduced to Mars Hill by my ex-bestie...shame...and it's also a place I visited with my ex-bf quite often, during our courtship days...

I'm glad that I am able to replace any sad, bitter feelings with warmth and laughter...definitely go back to play UNO and jenga and any other game we can get our hands on in the future. And I definitely recommend the hot apple cider (remember to stir the whipped cream and let it dissolve into the drink...yum!)

No comments: