This is a story about the aggressive head hunting that never happened.
I was about to make a farewell speech for a workmate on Friday afternoon. Why was I making the speech, I don't know. Its not like i'm in charge or anything. The person leaving was a manager of his own team, you would think one of them would have said something...pfft...engineers!
Well, before I could start the speech, I get a phonecall on my mobile and I am told by the person on the line that "so&so" will be contacting me over the weekend because the "poaching process" needs to be finalised by Monday.
I think to myself: "Who calls on the weekend for business?!" and I also think: "I hope when they call I am not sleeping off the night before, because I need to be alert to negotiate!"
But the call never came. I know for a fact that they do need to finalise things today...well, they really needed to finalise it by the last day of February, with me anyway. Its not a very good start. I'm disappointed and I'm sure the end person is disappointed too. On so many levels, it leaves me to be ruthless and business like for negotiations. Which is a plus.
I'm supposed to go to the dark side in a month's time...but there is no formal commitment at this point in time.
I gave my manager the heads up (the manager that pays me) that due to the circumstances, if I was offered an exceptional offer by "so&so" I would be moving on. I think he freaked out. He probably thinks that he can convince me to stay...funny that.
Lets see what will happen throughout today...

No comments:
Post a Comment