Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Labour Day long weekend 2006...

I got home from work on Friday feeling really feverish and basically like i wanted to die.

Not a good sign for my Melbourne bound flight on Saturday. I proceeded to drink heaps of water and went to bed early.

I woke up on Saturday feeling even worse wondering if i should cancel my bloody trip, but i decided to pop as many legal pills as possible and grin and bear the flight. Worse comes to worse, i would be in Melbourne with my cousin and not stuck in a foreign country with no one i know.

I landed and was picked up and driven home safely without a hitch. I gave my niece and nephew their presents and ended up playing spiderman and barbie all night. My nephew who is 6 showed me how he gets on the internet and plays online games. Without my help he connects to the internet and then proceeds to go to his favourite links. For a moment, i actually felt dumb compared to him and his net savvy ways. *LoL* Gosh they grow fast...

I went to bed and woke pretty early on Sunday morning. The kids and i watched the various episodes on the Cartoon Network all morning. After a few various cartoons i realised i should make a move on things as Z and Em were going to meet me at 12:30pm at The Art Centre in the Melb CBD.

So i got ready and left my cousin's place at 11am. Walked along Smith Street and things felt a little strange to me. It was all oddly familiar, but at the same time some stores were different and i felt a bit spaced out. But after 10 minutes of strolling, i felt like i had lived in Melb for a year or 2 and it was like going home.

I hopped on a tram that was city bound and got off on Bourke Street. I made my way to Kinki Gerlinki to see what was in store and found a couple of items that i was keen on, but not 100% sure if i should get then and there...and the Picasso Love & War exhibition was looming in the back of my mind...i kept thinking i could fit it in before meeting with Z & Em.

So, instead of making a rash decision, i walked out of Kinki Gerlinki and walked to Fed Square. When i got to Fed Square there was an outdoor exhibition - Earth from Above...photographs taken from...der...above. I walked around that and wondered if 30 minutes was enough for Picasso. If i didnt see Picasso today, i might shop too long and not get to see it on Monday before i leave Melb. I was only in Melb for 2 days. I knew that Sunday was going to be jam packed, because Z told me his plans.

I decided to leave Fed Square and rush to NGV, next to The Art Centre. I confirmed with Z that he was running a little late and therefore i had 45 minutes to see the Love & War collection. See, i thought the range of photographs and artworks would be limited, like how it often is in Sydney (which means you see everything within 30 minutes). But this Picasso collection was HUGE. I mean HUGE!!!

I really needed to take at least 1.5 hours, but i fit it all into the 45 minutes I had. But even that 45 minutes was worth it. It will be embedded in my mind forever. There was a main room, and then there was a sign that said that there was more of the collection "this way"...i followed the sign and found another room...thinking it was a small atrium, i followed along one of the walls and found myself in an even bigger room which had another room attached (i think...there was just so much to see at this point).

I rushed out when i noticed my watch and the time...

Just in time to meet up with Z and Em.

Hopped into Em's car and we headed out to St Kilda. We found a parking spot effortlessly and walked towards the Pier and the beach...omg the beach. It was beautiful...unbelievably gorgeous...the water was so nice and inviting. I didnt get into the water, but omg...i wish i did.

After walking down the Pier and back towards the market, we all headed towards Aclan Street. Walked past Luna Park and down the street to find a restaurant that was not so busy and we could get a seat. We ended up at this place starting with a V, but i cant remember its name for the life of me. We went inside and it was quite empty...the busy bit was the outdoor/sidewalk seats.

This place had okay food and okay service, but the interesting thing was their toilets. One door had a girl dressed as a man with a moustache and hat and braces with her man trousers. The other door had a cross dressing man wearing a tight short pink corset dress and was heavily made up. Em didnt know which to use...so she went for the man dressed in the pink dress. Unfortunately for Em, that was the Men's. And she only noticed when she was washing her hands and saw a urinal in the reflection of the mirror.

She came back to the table and told Z and i about the "toilets"...i told her that i would use the other toilet and confirm if that was the girls or the guys. After our lunch i walked towards them feeling a bit dubious...fortunately for me, i asked one of the waitresses. She confirmed that the girl dressed as a guy was in fact the women's toilets.

And when you push the door, look on the floor and there is the typical pink girl cut out confirming that it was the girls toilets.

With the guys, there is a blue boy cut out on the floor. I took a photo of the pictures on the front of the doors to the toilets...but i havent transferred anything to my pc.

After lunch we stopped at the various cake stores along Aclan Street. Like OMG...the cakes!!! And OMG...the ice cream/gelato stores along the street. The lines were so long...and it was only 26 degrees, but i was informed by the Melbournians...that that was hot for them.
*LoL*

After St Kilda, we headed to Port Melbourne...I had driven past Port Melbourne previously on another trip before, so we did a quick drive and squizz. Z & Em then took me to see the Mansions around Toorak and South Yarra (i think). I have never seen houses this BIG and this BEAUTIFUL!!! The house that Z pointed out as his favourite was the most beautiful mansion i had ever ever seen. If i could, i would love to own it! The streets we drove along were tree lined and were absolutely lush.
*sigh*

After checking out the mansions, we headed to Williamstown for dinner, one of Z's favourite places.

We decided to have Jap and stopped at a place called Hokkaido. Unfortunately, the place had changed management and the food wasnt really good. Either that, or by this stage my tastebuds had all gone due to the amount of lozenges i was popping for my sore throat. But my noodles really did taste funny, and according to Z, it smelt like they had just poured a bottle of vinegar over it for the sauce. I couldnt place the weird taste (because i was sick) and when Z told me it smelt of vinegar, that was it! I could make the vinegar out as the sauce the noodles were fried in!!!
=P

We decided wash the bad Jap and get ice cream at The Ice Cream Shoppe - which claimed to be the store with the most variety of ice creams in Australia...and it actually didnt have that many on display. I had also noticed that on the big sign on the wall, it was written 3 times that there was no taste testing...which i thought was odd. I mean if you are an ice cream shop, who claims to have that many flavours, shouldnt you allow people to at least try the more exotic flavours that they have never heard before???

Anyhoo, after Williamstown we headed to the Jam factory on Chapel Street to catch a movie. We wanted to watch The Devil Wears Prada and got tickets for the 9:20pm session. Since it was 8:40pm we had some time to kill and went to Virgin to peruse at the CDs and DVDs on sale. It was 9pm and we left the store as they were closing up and headed over to Boarders as they were still opened. We sat down and perused through their magazines...hehehe...

Then we headed over to our cinema to catch the movie.

I was a bit surprised that there were significant changes in the movie from the book...but the movie was enjoyable none the less. I wont bother getting into the movie now...there is no point really.

After the movie, Z & Em drove me back to my cousin's place. It was the first time in all of my Melbourne trips had i gone home so late, midnite...how weird is that? It was fun, but i think the jam packed day had run me down, because when i woke up on Monday, i felt even more crap than before.

But i was on a mission. I have started obsessing over summer dresses. I wanted to leave Melb with a dress that i could wear during the day and at night for a reasonable price, that is different and i wouldnt be able to find in Sydney, or at least wear it for a month or two before i see it in stores around Sydney.

So, i dragged my cousin and my niece around Smith Street and then we headed to the CBD...i didnt have much time because i was leaving in the early afternoon.

But i found them...2 dresses and for a bargain price...i got the 2 for $110. I was so chuffed. I also got two mini skirts for $10 each...and a range of basic singlets in white and black.

I didnt manage to purchase anything else and i didnt get to go back to Kinki Gerlinki as i had planned, but it was okay. I didnt want this trip to be a shopping trip. And i am broke anyways...so i shouldnt have really bought the dresses, but for that price, could you blame me???

*LoL*

During the nights i was in Melbourne i got the weird calls from L & E who were up at the Gold Coast, pretending to be in Fiji or something...but they were so hammered they kept calling and either i pick up or they would leave messages where they are just calling my name and saying how much they missed me! *ROfL* E was wondering if i would lick his nipples...apparently they were taking shots every 30 minutes at any time of the day and drinking as much as they could afford.

I hope they come back to Sydney in one piece!

I had a good weekend, except for what i thought was the flu.

I found out yesterday after i called my managers and told them that i was sick and wouldnt be coming in, and saw my doctor, that i have some throat virus.

I was coughing so much and trying to talk so much yesterday, that i have lost my voice.

Oh well, things will get better by next week.

No comments: